It’s Gas Safety Week between 19th and 25th September, and the Gas Safe Register revealed some worrying statistics about gas safety in people’s homes.
They show that you must look after your gas appliances, especially your boiler, as faults can often go unnoticed.
5.5 million British people fail to get an annual safety check
This is a worrying number, as householders could be putting their health at risk. Carbon monoxide poisoning can be fatal and as it has no smell or taste it could be too late before victims notice that their gas appliances have failed.
Not having a gas safety check could also cost householders a lot of money – it is much cheaper to get your gas appliances (for example your boiler) serviced than replacing it when it goes wrong.
Gas Safe Register’s research also found that it can cost as little as £60 for a gas safety check.
67,000 gas emergency call outs in the UK in 2014
Many of these call outs could have been avoided if householders had their appliances checked regularly.
1 in 6 gas appliances are dangerous
This shocking statistic comes after Gas Safe Register inspected 142,000 homes over the last 5 years. That’s why it’s important that you get a Gas Safe registered engineer to carry out any gas work and never do any DIY on gas appliances.
6 deaths and 300 injuries in 2014 have been caused by unsafe gas appliances
Deaths and injuries from unsafe gas appliances are preventable if you get your gas appliances serviced every year.
Gas Safe Register’s research shows that a lot of householders are still unaware of the risks behind not getting their gas appliances serviced.
The purpose of Gas Safety Week is to raise awareness of the risks of gas in the home and to call on homeowners to protect themselves and their property by having a gas safety check by a qualified Gas Safe registered engineer.
Follow Gas Safety Week’s tips to stay safe in your home:
- Only use a Gas Safe registered engineer to fit, fix and service your appliances
- Check your engineer’s Gas Safe Register ID card
- Have all your gas appliances regularly serviced every year
- Check for warning signs that your appliances aren’t working properly, like seeing lazy yellow flames instead of crisp blue ones or black stains on or around the appliance
- Know the signs of carbon monoxide poisoning – headaches, dizziness, breathlessness, nausea, collapse and loss of consciousness
- Fit a carbon monoxide alarm
If you follow Gas Safe Register’s tips, you’ll stay safe in your home. If ever you’re worried about one of your gas appliances, make sure you call a Gas Safe registered engineer to take a look.
To find out more about Gas Safety Week, visit the Gas Safe Register website.
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?